Saturday 11 July 2009

Project 3 - focus with different aperture sizes

Today it's raining. The beach smells like childhood holidays in Cornwall, where we would try to convince ourselves that it was "brightening up over there" as we strode along clifftops in blustery winds. I think it's mostly the seaweed which seems to be particularly prolific at the moment, some even getting dropped into my garden by seagulls overhead - and I live a good few hundred metres from the seafront.

Anyway, it was the time for project three, can't be too difficult - just take three photos of the same subject in the same position using different apertures, one large, one small and one in the middle, then identify the edges of sharpness.

So, first go, the back of these beach huts.

The first at f3.5 and a shutter speed of 1/400.



The second at f8 and a shutter speed of 1/80.



And the third at f22 and a shutter speed of 1/10.



If I'm totally honest I can't see much difference, even when they take up all the screen, except that the last one is a bit more blurry than the first, but I put that down to the rain on the lens as well as camera shake due to the slower shutter speed.

I tried it again, with the front of the beach huts this time:

First at f4.5, and a shutter of 1/320 sec.













Then at f10 and a shutter of 1/60 sec.














Then at f25 and a shutter of 1/8 sec.














If I'm totally honest I can't really see much difference except that the version with the narrower aperture and longer shutter speed suffers from camera shake induced blurriness and raindrops. But what I do see is that both of the first in each set have a greater range - there are simply more beach huts in each of the wide aperture pictures, and this is something I wasn't expecting to see. The other interesting thing that's particularly noticeable in the front of the huts is the change in colour - the wider aperture pic is definitely darker than the narrower aperture.