Saturday 18 July 2009

Project 12 - placing the horizon

This project is all about identifying where the best place is to put the horizon and I've included some images of the Romney Marsh windfarm which made an interesting subject - although I was frustrated not to be able to get as close to it as I would have liked.

For me, the placement of the horizon depends on what else is interesting in the scene. So today the sky wasn't very interesting, just being blue with a few clouds hanging around the horizon so I wouldn't have made that a feature, but be more inclined to go with the tight views below. I've cropped the second one down to create the top and give it a more extreme appearance, but I do prefer that one best. The only difficulty is that the foreground isn't particularly exciting either. If the sky had been more lively I may well have gone with a focus on the big skies and a nice wide angle to compress the action together.

The two middle images just seem a little banal - a record of what is happening, nothing more, with no sense of interpreting the landscape or telling the viewer where to look.