Sunday 30 August 2009

Assignment 1 revisited

At last I've been able to get back to this assignment and make some progress. A day out in Littlehampton surprisingly provided lots of inspiration for new shots and contrasts following feedback on Flickr. While there seemed to be positive feedback for some images, "light" and "heavy" and "black" and "white" seemed generally to be misunderstood - and therefore they clearly weren't expressing the meaning as intended. And with the benefit of hindsight and some distance that meant I wasn't so emotionally involved I've been able to do a bit of culling, a bit of editing, and hopefully some better selections.

So, some images have been rejected but here is the complete set, just for clarity - mine, that is!

Dark
I really struggled with the concept of illustrating "dark" and how it would appear in contrast to the "light" image. My theory here was that the candles are giving off light, and they are the focus of the light source. Whereas in "dark", the lack of light is the overall sense of the image which is of the "cisterns" underground in Istanbul.
Dark
Light
Light
Rounded
I was thinking colour here mostly, the orange and blue contrasting strongly... and had also been a little inspired by the "circle in a square" Flickr group that seemed to include lots of images of plates... this is better than that, I think.
Rounded
Diagonal
I really struggled with diagonal... although reading later on in the course which reckons that diagonals are everywhere - I clearly wasn't trying hard enough! I was very taken by the gas container in Littlehampton though, and particularly liked the colours.
Diagonal
Few
A fleeting moment, "few" of course referring to the surfers.
Few
Many
I've never seen so many swans together... this would be great in black and white but I was also keen to keep the colour of the beaks which I did enhance slightly. I took probably 20 exposures and only this one comes close to getting the right sort of angle and positioning. I left the right hand edge clear for the swans to "swim in to".
Many
Straight
What with "continuous" and "intermittent" I felt I'd overdone the long straight line going off into the distance, but here are some straights, both horizontal and vertical.
Straight
Curved
Curved
Pointed
Pointed
Blunt
Blunt
Still
I cropped this as suggested by a fellow student... it does I think represent "still" better (which is the point) although I do still like being able to see the bridge and Lancing college in the background that misses the point of the assignment - so, gone!
Still
Movement
Movement
Intermittent
Intermittent
Continuous
Continuous
Low
Feedback from a couple of people suggested these two images should have their titles swapped to reflect the viewpoint or the perceived comparative height. It hadn't occurred to me but it now seems blindingly obvious and makes much more sense.
High
High
Low
Curved and straight
Curved and straight